What was dubbed a “Super” Wild Card Weekend definitely lived up to its billing.
Three visiting teams won in mostly empty stadiums. Three underdogs covered the spread.
A rep from DraftKings said Browns vs. Steelers was the most bet NFL game by handle for the 2020/21 NFL season at DraftKings online sportsbook. By handle, it is second all-time to Super Bowl LIV in 2020. By bets, it is the single largest NFL game all-time.
Overall, it was a historic weekend at DraftKings. All six Wild Card Weekend games are now in the top 10 most bet NFL games in DraftKings Sportsbook history by handle and bets.
The Divisional Round starts with two games on Saturday and a pair on Sunday. The top-seeded, and favorites to win Super Bowl LV – Kansas City Chiefs (+200) and Green Bay Packers (+380) – return to action after first-round byes.
NFL Divisional Round betting guide
A full detailed preview of the divisional round is available at The Lines.
Spread betting splits as of Jan. 14 from BetMGM:
- 81% of the money is on the Packers (-6.5)
- 67% of the money is on Bills (-2.5)
- 66% of the money is on the Browns (+10)
- 52% of the money is on the Buccaneers (+3.5)
Check back for more betting splits from PA online sportsbooks
Los Angeles Rams at Green Bay Packers — 4:35 p.m. ET (Saturday)
At most PA online sportsbooks the Packers opened as 7-point favorites. The line has gone down to 6.5.
Nick Bogdanovich, Director of Trading for William Hill, commented:
“The sharps definitely took 7 and we went to 6.5. At 6.5, all the money is on the Packers from the masses—teasers, moneyline parlays, straight parlays, straight bets. The masses may shove it back up to 7.”
Baltimore Ravens at Buffalo Bills — 8:15 p.m. ET (Saturday)
The Bills have won their last six homes games have covered the spread in eight of their last nine.
“The early money was sharps on the Ravens and it went down to 2,” Bogdanovich said. “The move back to 2.5 was pretty universal, could be weather-related. Buffalo is strictly a passing team now, wind would hurt them but I don’t think snow would be an issue.”
Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs – 3:05 p.m. ET (Sunday)
The defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs host the Cleveland Browns who are coming off an emotional upset win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. The total has jumped from 55.5 to 57, the highest so far of any 2021 playoff game. Kansas City (-10) is the biggest favorite of the divisional round.
“It’s possible that the Browns could be a public dog with the spread as high as it is,” Bogdanovich said. “Right now, we’re dead even on the straight bets and the parlays for this one. We’re high on the Browns moneyline. Where we’re high on Kansas City is teasers and moneyline parlays. But I think Cleveland will hold their own with the money.”
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints — 6:40 p.m. ET (Sunday)
Brady vs. Brees in a matchup that the Saints quarterback called “inevitable.” The Saints beat the Buccaneers in both meetings this season.
“I’m surprised that this line is down to 3,” Bogdanovich said.
“Those games in the regular season weren’t fluky. It’s just years and years of good performance. I don’t know why they think this matchup will be any different for Tampa Bay. I think New Orleans is going to go in with a lot of confidence thinking that they’re going to do it to them again, whereas Tampa has to do something different. We’ll see, maybe there’ll be a flood of New Orleans money later in the week.”
Divisional Weekend Specials
Lots of other betting markets for the Divisional Round including the following at FanDuel:
- Elimination Specials (team to eliminate the Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Browns, etc.)
- Highest scoring team
- Lowest scoring team
- Divisional round any game to go to overtime
- Correct score
Super Bowl betting at BetMGM
Super Bowl LV odds as of Jan. 14 at BetMGM:
- Chiefs: +220
- Packers: +400
- Saints: +550
- Bills: +600
- Ravens: +800
- Buccaneers: +900
- Rams: +2200
- Browns: +2500
Super Bowl line movement at BetMGM:
- Chiefs open +650, current +220
- Packers open +3500, current +400
- Saints open +1200, current +550
- Bills open +2500, current +600
- Ravens open +750, current +800
- Bucs open +1600, current +900
- Rams open +2500, current +2200
- Browns open +3500, current +2500
Biggest Super Bowl liabilities:
- Buccaneers +900
- Chiefs +220
- All other teams are a win for BetMGM
Super Bowl MVP odds:
- Patrick Mahomes: +350
- Aaron Rodgers: +525
- Drew Brees: +750
- Josh Allen: +900
- Lamar Jackson: +1000
Highest handle % for Super Bowl LV MVP:
- Aaron Rodgers: 22%
- Patrick Mahomes: 13%
- Tom Brady: 7%
- Michael Thomas: 5%
- Lamar Jackson: 5%
Darren Darby, Head of European Sports at BetMGM commented:
“The Chiefs and Packers are the two most likely Super Bowl Champions and the quarterback of the winning team often earns the MVP honor. Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers are clear favorites to win amongst bettors, as we’ve taken most early action on them.”
Divisional Round promos at PA online sportsbooks
- Bet $1 to win $100 on any team to win their game: This offer is for first time DraftKings depositors only for all NFL Divisional Weekend games on Jan. 16 and Jan. 17. Following deposit, visit the landing page from the Sportsbook Promos page and pick your game by clicking the ‘BOOST THIS GAME’ next to the game of your choice. Following game selection, you’ll be issued with a single use odds boost to choose either team in that game. The boost is for +10000 (100-1) odds for a team to win that game. Max bet $1, one bet per user.
- New users can get a 25/1 odds boost on any team to win on Saturday or Sunday (max bet $5) after registering and making their first deposit. The offer replaces the new user offer for a risk-free bet of up to $1,000.
- $1,000 risk free bet for new users: Register, make a first deposit, then make a wager on the FanDuel Sportsbook app up to $1,000. If the bet loses, FanDuel will refund the loss in the form of a free bet to $1,000.
Divisional Round bet boosts at PA online sportsbooks
- Davante Adams to record 2 or more touchdowns boosted from (+275) to +305
- Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen each to score a touchdown boosted from (+361) to +400
- Packers, Chiefs, Bills and Saints all to win boosted from (+331) to +365
Updated NFL Divisional Round odds at PA sportsbooks
Lead image credit: AP Photo/Matt Patterson