How do you claim your online lottery prize? Playing the lottery online has made playing one of the oldest gambling games increasingly accessible. However, it brings rise to the question of how to claim your lottery winnings. Depending on where you play– that is, through the state lottery or an online casino – the claims process is very different.
Claiming Lottery Prizes
When you claim lottery prizes from gambling sites your winnings are usually paid out into the details associated with your account with the gambling site. Online gambling sites require ID verification before paying out large winnings.
However, when you play lottery games with state lotteries the claims process is different. Largely because there is no identification associated with the purchase of the lottery ticket therefore the steps are different.
How to Claim Winning Lottery Ticket?
Throughout the country you can only claim lottery winnings in person, no matter the amount. Where you can claim differs according to how much you have won.
Smaller prizes can be claimed at authorized lottery retailer which may even be the local grocery store. The smaller prize category is $600 or less in all states with lotteries. Any amount above $600 right into the thousands and millions can only be claimed from the state lottery claim centers.
Prizes less than $600
- Go to an authorized lottery retailer with your winning ticket and claim your prize, give them your winning ticket and you’ll get your cash on the spot, that easy!
- Fill in a lottery claim form which you can download from your state lottery website or get from the state lottery center. Mail/submit the form along with the original winning ticket. Make sure to sign the back of you winning lottery ticket and make a copy to keep for yourself. If you are using the postal service make sure to use registered mail.
Prizes exceeding $600
For prizes exceeding $600 you can only claim through the office by filling in a claim form with your attached and signed winning ticket. You can then submit the claim form at the lottery claim center or send it via registered mail.
In some states you can only claim prizes via mail up to $50,000. Beyond that you have to go in person to your district lottery claim center with your winning ticket and identification.
Things to Remember When You Claim Lottery Prizes
There is a time limit on how long you have before your winning tickets essentially expire. Depending on the type of lottery game you play or the state you are playing in you can have anything from 180 days to a year before you forfeit your prizes or go through a longer process to claim. So, make sure you read up on the Ts & Cs on the claiming of prizes from the lottery.
- Most importantly, make sure to sign your winning ticket immediately and make several copies.
- Read the lottery claims form and make sure to send in all the required documentation.
- The process of claiming lottery winnings so much simpler at online gambling sites as it is like any other withdrawal request.
About the Author
Ange has become a pro at playing most poker variations and even more unique games like Pai Gow Poker. Since her approach to gambling and casino games is that of a player not a spectator, you are sure to get great tips to try out. The unique perspective she offers to less common gambling games will have you trying out and enjoying games you previously ignored. Her familiarity with all kinds of casino games makes her guides and gambling tips super easy to understand, without losing their effectiveness.
More Posts from Angelina Cockle.