What is Powerball, and how does it work?
Powerball is a popular lottery introduced to Australia in 1996 and offers a larger prize compared to other lottery games.
The current drawing involves two sets of numbered balls:
- The first set has 35 balls from which 7 are chosen at random.
- The final ball, known as the Powerball, comes from a group of 20 balls and is also selected at random.
If a player matches the first seven numbers plus the Powerball, it is a Division 1 win worth millions! Powerball jackpots start from a minimum of $3 million each week.
What time is the weekly Powerball draw?
Lottery participants can watch the Powerball draw on Thursday evenings at 8:30pm AEST.
Channel 7 broadcasts the weekly lottery draw and if you can’t make it, the results are available on the Oz Lotteries website by 9:00pm.
How to Win Powerball?
Most people think they need to select all eight numbers correctly, but you do not have to pick perfectly to win a prize.
Powerball divides its prizes into nine divisions. The more numbers you get, the greater your winnings.
Keep in mind you can win a Division 9 prize by simply correctly picking two numbers and the Powerball.
How to increase your chances of winning Powerball?
There are several ways to increase your odds of winning a prize. Many people take part in lottery syndicates which are groups of people who split the cost and split the prize if the ticket wins.
Here are other options you should consider:
- A PowerHit entry guarantees that your ticket will match the Powerball.
- A Pick entry means that you will start the game with one or two numbers guaranteed to match.
- A System entry gives you the chance to pick anywhere from 8 to 18 numbers. This choice increases the chances you will win a prize in a higher division.
How to check a ticket?
The most exciting way to check your ticket is by watching the draw live on TV! However, the Oz Lotteries website & app provide several other ways to view results.
- Players can check the winning numbers online about half an hour after the broadcast.
- Players can opt into a results email or push notification sent straight to their device.
- Winners with an Oz Lotteries account will receive news of their win through email.
- Division 1 winners will always receive a life-changing phone call.
Can you win by matching only two numbers?
To win a prize in Powerball, you need at least three matching numbers – two main numbers and the Powerball. The Powerball is a crucial pick for winning in the lower divisions.
The importance of selecting the Powerball is why PowerHit entries that guarantee a Powerball match are so popular. They increase the chances that you will move up to a higher prize division.
To win with only main numbers, you must pick at least five correctly.